Policy Proposal 2001-3

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Sep 26 14:03:44 EDT 2001

>>> the dns protocols provide the redundancy to handle the dns servers as
>>> well as a 'golden' space.  if you think otherwise, please describe your
>>> failure model.
>> If you call waiting for timeouts an acceptable method of failover then I
>> suppose you're right.  I however don't agree.
> Because it makes multi-homing on a small block of address space feasible.

and how is it infeasible now?  you may want to look at the address space the
roots and gtlds are in now before answering.

and how does being multi-homed mean that one will not time out on the server
if the deamon is dead but the box is up and reachable?

and do note that the long timeout is not relevant if the box is not
reachable.

the golden space snake oil has been available to roots for some years.  how
many use it?  perhaps root operators have actually studied the issues and
voted with their feet?

randy