Last Call for Comment: Policy Proposal 2001-3

Thomas Narten narten at us.ibm.com
Fri Nov 30 14:28:20 EST 2001

I'm technically past the deadline, but got behind and didn't notice
this until now.

I object to this policy being advanced to the BOT in its current
form. I (as IPv6 WG chair) was not consulted on the wording of the
recommendation, even though this topic was discussed during the IPv6
WG meeting in Miami.

I do not believe that there was consensus for this policy as current
written. Discussion during the WG meeting was more nuanced. There was
clear support for allowing micro-allocations for exchanges (but also a
call for a better definition of exchanges). But there was less clarity
concerning microallocations for (say) root servers. Indeed, I believe
the sense of the room was that the issue needed more study first, with
input from other constituencies (e.g., root server operators) as to
whether micro-allocations for root servers is desirable or
necessary. Discussion of the topic concluded with:

    "It was decided by the working group that an exchange point
    operator must first be defined and then ARIN would move to make a
    policy. Discussion will take place on the mailing list."

Consult the published minutes for more details.

Thomas