Single organizations with multi-homed, discrete networks

Tanya Hinman thinman at clp.cw.net
Wed May 9 12:03:18 EDT 2001

Richard,

>Should ARIN make a change to its policy that takes this issue
>into consideration and prevents organizations from having to
>open multiple maintainer accounts to meet the IP addressing
>needs of their multi-homed, discrete networks?

Yes, ARIN should make a change to its policy. This would give ISP's the
ability to plan for each network appropriately. I also think this should be
the case for Internal and Customer IP Address requests. Currently if you do
not have 80% of your customer space utilized then you cannot obtain more
address space for internal and backbone addressing without opening another
maintainer account. Allowing these requests to be considered separate but
billing under the same maintainer would also be a way that ARIN can cut the
amount of income coming in from the membership, which was also discussed at
the meeting.

Tanya