Proposal for Rewording Virtual Webhosting Standards

Clay Clay at exodus.net
Thu Mar 29 18:02:23 EST 2001

I think you are completely wrong on this (with your 1. and 2. copied below).

A regulatory policy is simply not effective when it only "suggests" or
"strongly encourages" a practice.
This may not be true in all cases but it is very much the truth respective
to IP address conservation.
  You can strongly encourage your son or daughter, when you are out there
trying to teach them how to ride a bicycle...But that only works if they
WANT to learn how to ride that bicycle.  Additionally, that bicycle can go
back and forth down the same chunk of sidewalk.  We do NOT have that luxury
when dealing with IPv4, it is finite.
  The shortage of IP space (and the gross numbers consumed) is not specific
to the webhosting sector alone. Webhosters and other service providers are
currently quite happy burning thru huge chunks of IP address space, since it
suits their needs, but there is a price we may end up paying.
  This argument parallels the current politically hot topic of Social
Security...and we are akin to the politicians...Will we bury our heads in
the sand and push the problem out a few years, until it is beyond our
immediate concern? I hope I am wrong with all this doom and gloom but I
think prudence is called for here, regarding conservation of IPv4 space. We
all know how slow and bogged-down the IPv6 protocol process (both technical
and political) is moving.

The scope of the policy should be expanded, not contracted as you suggest.

There is no point in attempting to conserve IP address space if we do not
have the ability to enforce policies that actually make efforts to CONSERVE
address space.  If a service provider has a LEGITIMATE need for burning thru
large ranges of IP address space, then they should not have a problem with
documenting that need (and providing that documentation to their IP address
space provider).  A policy that enforces efficient use of IP address space
has to allow for protocol limitations that require an actual unique public
IP address PER service (in the case of anonymous-FTP and some security
protocols).  This is a very legitimate point. And, I believe it is not too
much to ask the service provider to document his/her legitimate technical
limitations, in this case.  Having the service provider submit this
documentation is a SMALL price to pay, considering the conservation of IP
address space this will provide.  Additionally, we should NOT base
regulatory policy upon VENDOR SPECIFIC LIMITATIONS...This means that we
shouldn't create a policy structured upon Microsoft's (or anybody else's)
virtualhosting limitations.  Technical limitations should be defined via
STANDARD PROTOCOL LIMITATIONS only.

Any legitimate need for IP address space is provided for with a policy such
as this.

To isolate Webhosting companies with a specific requirement for them to
conserve is not fair.

ALL "Service Providers" should have to adhere to the same policy, and it
should go something like this:

-----------------------------
Service Providers shall utilize efficient protocols and commonly recognized
technologies to assure conservation of IP address space.

HTTP 1.1 protocol shall be utilized wherever applicable. HTTP 1.1 (Host
headers), and other accepted standard protocols, shall be utilized for
virtual devices/services unless definite technological limitations dictate
otherwise.

Service Provider is defined as: an entity that provides services, either
virtual or physical, that utilize the Internet for connectivity or access.
Service Provider is not limited to ISP services and includes, but is not
limited to:
Webhosting (service provider)
Internet (service provider)
Applications (service provider)
Security (service provider)
managed (service provider)

Efficient use of IP address space is defined as:  One publicly addressable
IP address per each physical device connected to the Internet.

Clayton Lambert
Exodus Communications