Proposal for review

CJW cjw at remarque.org
Tue Jul 24 20:03:33 EDT 2001

I think you have summed it up quite well.  The issue here is
that the folks who wrote the proposal (not me) feel that having
seperate maintainer IDs, although a somewhat workable solution,
is not acceptable.  There was quite a bit of discussion about
this at the last meeting such that this proposal was written.

Thanks for your feedback Lee!  I'd be interested in your input on
how ARIN, in practice, should consider routing when making allocations.

Thanks!
---CJ

    From: Lee Howard <lhoward at UU.NET>
    Subject: Re: Proposal for review
    I was drafting a long response, because it's a long proposal.  Then I got
    distracted by work.

    Here's my perspective:  On general principle,

    	ARIN should consider routing when making allocations.

    However, a lot of your proposal seems to affect any organization with
    multiple regions or maintainers.  I don't think it needs to--let's just
    address the ones that have problems.

    There are three problems:
    1.  Organizations which have separate routing domains, which combined
    justify an initial allocation from ARIN, but separately do not.
    2.  Two or three ISPs will not accept routes more specific than ARIN
    allocates.
    3.  Organizations with separate routing domains may not be able to show
    80% usage overall, even if several routing domains are full.

    I don't think the first is a problem:  each routing domain gets address
    space from its upstream until it can justify its own allocation.  Each
    area gets its own maintainer ID, the fee for which is based on its size.

    The second is a problem, but it isn't ARIN's problem.

    The third is a problem with which I am familiar.  There are several
    alternatives, within current ARIN policy:
    - get multiple maintainer accounts,
    - allocate small enough blocks to each routing domain that by the time
    the first area is out of space, the total usage is 80%.  This option
    doesn't work if you have discrete networks and no backbone, and isn't
    worthwhile if you don't have an extra-large allocation.  I still argue that
    having separate maintainers is a better idea, for a variety of reasons.

    If I'm misstating the problem or missing some part of it, please try to
    explain it to me again.

    Lee Howard

    On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, CJW wrote:

    > Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 13:13:55 -0700
    > From: CJW <cjw at remarque.org>
    > To: ppml at arin.net
    > Subject: Proposal for review
    >

    > I sent this a while back and have gotten no comments.  Please send me
    > your comments on this.  This topic generated quite a bit of discussion
    > at the last policy meeting and I can't believe that no one on this list
    > has an opinion or comment
    >
    > Thanks bunches!
    > ---CJ

IR