Proposal for review

David R Huberman huberman at gblx.net
Tue Jul 24 16:06:44 EDT 2001

In my e-mail yesterday I wrote:

> > >     * When applying for additional address space, from an RIR, for new
> > >     networks or additional space for existing networks the organization must
> > >     show greater than 50% utilization for the last block granted by the RIR
> > >     and their allocations as a whole.
> >
> > Either this isn't phrased well, I'm not understanding it at this
> > moment in time, or it says something I disagree with.
> >
> > Organizations should only request additional address space from ARIN
> > when it can no longer assign a globally-routable (ick - sorry) address
> > block to one of its discrete networks or it meets the traditional 80%
> > requirement.
> >
> > If an org. has a /20 or more available, and is less than 80% utilized
> > on its previous blocks, it should not be eligible for additional
> > address space yet.

It's been pointed out to me that the last paragraph above basically
shows that I *dont* agree with the policy.

As I prefaced my comment, I didn't understand what this point was getting
at. After having time to think about it, it makes more sense to me now.

I retract my objection to the above criteria. The math works out fine.

/david