Just to clarify

Richard Jimmerson richardj at arin.net
Tue Jan 16 09:00:26 EST 2001

ARIN has reviewed the discussions that have taken place
on this mailing list in regard to the practice of adding
maintainer IDs to reassigned records.  We would like to
thank everyone who participated in this discussion.

Going forward, the practice of the ARIN registration staff
will be the following:

(Note we are using the well written summary provided by David Huberman)

If a provider who has been assigned address space from their upstream
wishes to assign address space further downstream, they are encouraged to
petition their upstream provider to re-SWIP the address space as an
allocation. If the upstream provider is unresponsive, the downstream
provider may then petition ARIN to enact this change. ARIN will make its
best attempt to contact the upstream provider to obtain their permission.
If the provider declines permission, ARIN will notify the petitioner as
such. If the provider is unresponsive after 10 business days, ARIN will
accede to the petitioner's request and notify the upstream of the
change(s).

Richard Jimmerson
Director of Operations