small multihomed organizations

Scott Richard Slater scottslater77 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 8 16:30:28 EDT 2001

objective: "small multhomed organizations with the complete ability to
balance all inbound and outbound traffic over both connections".

I think there are a few issues here.  The major issue is "filtering".  We
need to adjust filtering to accomodate smaller multihomed organizations and
enable these smaller multihomed organizations to control/balance their
inbound and outbound traffic over each connection.

There are three methods of "filtering":
1) filtering using route information (access-list, distribute-list)
2) filtering using path information (ip as-path access-list, filter-list)
3) filtering using communities(ip community-list)

Once we identify how to filter with each method then we next determine if
any of the filtering methods accomodate our objective.  If none of the
filtering methods accomodates our objective then we should create a new
method for "filtering".

note:  There is another option I just thought of.  If the customer is
delegated address space from ARIN, and the inbound and outbound traffic is
not balanced.  The customer can use the "set as-path prepend" command to
balance the traffic over each connection.

Also, please note, that the filtering methods above can be used together.
You can filter using "community-list" and "ip as-path access-list" on the
same router bgp configuration.

Also, I was just thinking of what I wrote yesterday, about if one of the two
ISPs delegates address space to the customer then the delegating ISP will
most probably be the backup connection for the customer.  This can be
corrected using the BGP "backdoor" command.

Also, note that the customers configuration will absolutely be different
dependent on the number of BGP neighbors.  The more BGP neighbors chances
are the customer will use some BGP metrics to choose packet flow.

Just another thought,  its hard to develop an answer to adjust the present
"filtering" configurations when we do not know how every provider filters.

Another solution for the customer's 24 bit address space to be accepted by
providers is the following, if the provider uses prefix-lists.  This way the
customers specific address space is accepted, a mask length of up to 24 bits
in routes is accepted  EXAMPLE:  " ip prefix-list abc permit 0.0.0.0/8 le
24"  If the provider uses "le" they can specify the prefix length they will
permit or deny.

I am working on some solutions and drawings.

Scott