Reassignment Proposal

ginny listman ginny at arin.net
Fri Apr 27 14:47:41 EDT 2001

Tanya,

Since this is more a question of where ARIN should invest resources in
developing, and less a policy issue, I would like to move the discussion
to the dbwg list.

Developing a IRR-like mechanism to monitor reassignments is an excellent
idea, and should be discuss further.  As you recall, at the Member
Meeting, members clearly expressed the desire for ARIN to invest resources
in "fixing" RWHOIS.  We have done some initial analysis, and we would
completely rewrite it, most likely using PERL.

Before Engineering proceeds, I would like to take a survey of what
reassigment method the membership would most likely use.  We can then
apply resources accordingly.  The choices are:

SWIP
RWHOIS
IRR like method

All three have pluses and minuses.  Ideally we would like to see a single
method that would allow for the maintenance of reassignment information at
either the ISP or at ARIN.  Realistically, we would need a method to
maintain data centrally (SWIP), and a method to maintain data local
(RWHOIS, or something else). Of course, the more responses received will
give us a better sense of what the membership wants.

Ginny Listman
Director of Engineering
American Registry for Internet Numbers