Wording of the Virtual Webhosting Standards Policy

Clay Clay at exodus.net
Mon Apr 9 21:39:31 EDT 2001

It is logical to surmise that since ARIN defines a subset of "service
provider" then it would be extremely effective, and helpful and
clarifying...For them to define the superset (Service provider).

Currently ARIN allocates address space for "end-users" and ISPs.  Typically
our Enterprise Customers are considered in the end-use catagory.  This seems
akin to defining diferent users of IP address space.  As such, a definition
of Service Provider would fit right in, as you already indicated, ARIN does
define ISP "users" of address space.

I think Jill's policy recommendation is eloquent and clear...It is simple
and easy for laymen to follow, but encompassing and difinitive, so the
requestor and its upstream provider can anchor their own IP allocation
policies upon it.

I don't see the need to add words such as "compelling" and "strongly
encourage". As you cannot "compel" a provider to even attempt efficient use
of address space when the strongest element of the policy only encourages"

Clay