consistancy

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Sun Sep 17 16:29:40 EDT 2000

On Sun, Sep 17, 2000 at 01:51:45PM -0500, Mury wrote:

> Hold the fort!
>
> I've taken some time to try to understand the authority and the role of
> ARIN in relation to ICANN instead of taking some people's word for it.
>
> Here is a summary of what I found on ICANN's site.  I have pasted the text
> from http://www.aso.icann.org/docs/aso-mou.html further down as a
> reference.
>
> 1)  The ICANN bylaws assign to the ASO (which ARIN is) the responsibility

You are confusing the ASO and ARIN.  ARIN is not the ASO.  The ASO is
part of ICANN; ARIN is a member of the ASO.  Not the only member.

[...]

> Doesn't this sound like it is ARIN's responsibilty to develop policies and
> not ICANNs?

No, it sounds like it is the ASO's responsibility.

> It sure reads like ICANN has given ARIN not just the

    s/ARIN/ASO/

> authority, but the responsibility to create *global* policies for
> registration of address space.  There are no conditions listed, no
> exceptions.
>
> What am I not understanding?

ARIN is not the ASO.  The ASO is a separate body that includes *all*
the address registries.

kent at songbird.com                           lonesome." -- Mark Twain