guideline for name-based web hosting justification

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Sep 12 12:49:10 EDT 2000

On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Mury wrote:

> Cool!  Now we all know how to do name based hosting... er, wait... what
> about all those HTTP/1.0 browsers!?  You don't think they exist any
> more?  Check this out.  In fairness I sampled all my virtual hosts off of
> one server from a selective time period.  All my logs files are in the
> www.domain.com format.  Here are my commands and results:
>
> webserver3: {17} % grep 'HTTP/1.1' www.*.com | wc -l
>   400441
> webserver3: {18} % grep 'HTTP/1.0' www.*.com | wc -l
>   375412
>
> 48.4% of the browsers out there that accessed my customers' sites used
> HTTP/1.0.  For the uninitiated the 1.0 version of the HTTP protocol does
> NOT support name based hosting.

This is BS.  My own personal domain is a name-based virtual host (not by
choice, but due to necessity at the time it was setup), and 63% of the
hits on it are logged at HTTP/1.0.  They still get the right files.

Many browsers that support name-based virtual hosting send requests as
HTTP/1.0.  Netscape 4.75 does.

 Atlantic Net                |