AS Number Registrations

Bryan Socha byans at ugo.com
Wed Aug 30 10:55:51 EDT 2000

I think you also need to look at the industry. Its no longer just providers
running bgp anymore.  I know with my company we need to run bgp even though
we don't exactly fit a "provider" model.  Then again we are on 5 upstreams
with 2 more in provisoning.

The change in policy does worry me..  The number for the most part speak for
themselves, but we would never be able to operate without bgp and since we
have an ASN because we are multihomed, a policy change would not have
allowed us to reach where we are now.  We do offer some provider like
services such as colocation and hosting but our model is a moderate sized
collection of affiliated websites and those services are provided at a
discount since we have an interest in their success and can watch
instabilities on the internet better than they can from their home setups.

I do agree that something needs to be done but if it does affect multihomed
ASN owners only, I think it needs to be very defined as to when you are
eligable for one.

Just my thoughts,
Bryan Socha