ARIN Web Hosting Policy

Bryan Heitman bryanh at communitech.net
Tue Aug 29 18:12:27 EDT 2000

I think Stacey Son said it best with "There are many practical issues
that ARIN may have overlooked in drafting this policy"

We recently had to deal with this policy on a new allocation that we
received a few weeks ago.  At that time we drafted about a 3 page
explanation as to why IP based hosting is needed.  Many of the points in
that document have already been stated by all of you in support of IP based
hosting so I won't get into that.

Our belief is that Name-based hosting should be used only when technically
possible, however as most of everyone's platforms out there already rely on
IP based hosting, ARIN should not deny the request for allocation.  Doing so
would have significant negative effects.

Best,

Bryan Heitman, Vice-President
CommuniTech.Net, Inc. - (800) WEB-HOST