[arin-discuss] [ARIN-Suggestions] New ACSP Suggestion 2014.10: CHANGES TO CANDIDATE SPEECHES

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jun 6 14:17:54 EDT 2014

On Jun 6, 2014, at 12:12 PM, A. Michael Salim <msalim at localweb.com> wrote:

> Just curious, is anyone not opposed to the proposed change?  As far as I can tell, we have the following situation:
>
> In favor: 1
>
> Opposed: many
>
> Don't care: many

Mike -

  To be clear, we're discussing this because it was a suggestion to change
  our processes, and while ARIN processes are either in my control (or for
  staff to recommend to the Board for consideration, such as in this case),
  it's best to consult with the community on such things.  This is why we
  have an ARIN Consultation and Suggestion Process.

  It's also a matter worthy of consideration as a concern about the integrity
  of ARIN election processes.  We have had several folks express support for
  the suggestion or indicate that the concern is valid enough to warrant a
  good set of rules.

  I think there's general consensus that anything resembling prior review is
  both more than needed, and poses far more concerns than the problem.  The
  question now is simply what expectations the community has regarding the
  candidate speeches, so that it gets what it expects and candidates know
  what is within reason.

  This is also a timely question, as the election processes for 2014 must
  be put before the Board shortly for approval and staff need to know how
  to answer questions from candidates regarding expectations in this area.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO