[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Michael Tague tague at win.net
Mon Apr 22 17:33:59 EDT 2013

John,

When you say "processing of larger requests" versus smaller requests, are
you talking about requests for new IP space?   If so, as you say, that
portion of what ARIN does is drying up - not being much space to left (IPv4)
to give out.

But it seems that ARINs rates have long been based upon IP Address space
(held) and they still are.   We haven't come to ARIN for a new allocation in
15 years but we've been paying $4500/yr all along.

I guess a question for you John is how much of ARIN's cost is of a general
nature - to be applied to the industry as a whole - and how much is specific
to particular request types?   If it is mostly general, or mostly grows with
address space used, then I would think that a linear - per IP - rate
schedule would be most fair.

What do you think is most fair?

Thanks,
Michael