[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Apr 18 22:59:10 EDT 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 3:40 PM, rlc at usfamily.net wrote:

> Some on this list seem to think that we don't "pay for ip's" because they are
> not our property.  Well, sort of.  It would seem that the Legacy Holders do, in
> fact, own theirs.

RLC -

All address holders have certain rights with respect to their
address blocks, and this include legacy address holders.  It
is also true that the community has certain rights regarding
those same address blocks, including the ability to establish
policies regarding how they are maintained in the registry.

ARIN operates the registry in accordance with the community
developed policy, and have had multiple courts who have ordered
that ARIN is not required to take any action in violation of
ARIN’s Policies nor is it required to apply a different
standard to the transfer of legacy versus non-legacy Internet
Protocol numbers. (In re Borders Group, Inc., 11-10614 (Bankr.
S.D.N.Y.), In re Teknowledge Corporation; 10-60457  (Bankr.
N.D. Cal.) and GlobalNAPS, Inc. v. Verizon New England, Inc)

ARIN fees are for registration services, regardless of when
or how you were issued the address block.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO