[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Dmitry Kohmanyuk dk at intuix.com
Thu Apr 18 13:19:00 EDT 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 6:45 PM, "Byrne, Cameron" <Cameron.Byrne at T-Mobile.com> wrote:

> [...]

I think we can describe and name those pricing models by function of total IP addresses allocated.

So, "fee per address" would be _linear_ (cost = X * addresses);
"fee per bit of block size"  would be _logarithmical_ (this includes current scheme: cost = K * log2(addresses) + N)
and fixed fee regardless of size of allocation (a-la RIPE model) is _flat_ fee (cost = N).

I am not doing advocacy of specific cost model (now or in the future) - but a formula is very useful to illustrate them.

-- dk@