[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Mike A. Salim msalim at localweb.com
Tue Apr 16 08:14:05 EDT 2013

Hello all,

I noticed that this has become a hot topic for many folks as of yesterday.  I am curious:  Are ARIN fees really that unfair or onerous?  Or is there a motivation among some, that the big guys need to be charged much more just because they are big guys, no matter what?

Maybe I am reading the emails wrong but some of the conversation seems to be along the lines of "the big guys need to pay a whole lot more because ...".  I just do not see any obvious justification for that line of argument.

Since (IMHO and probably in the opinion of many, or most, ARIN members) the fees are not all that unfair, and since ARIN appears to be balancing its budget just fine with no pending budget crisis and no sudden need of a large cash infusion, why the big hubbub about fees?  Or did I miss something? (and apologies if I did).

I think the adage applies:  if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  A minor tweak or two is fine but I am hearing some major changes being suggested.

(As a disclaimer, being a S or X-S, I do not consider myself one of the big guys - yet).

Best regards
Mike

A. Michael Salim
VP and Chief Technology Officer,
American Data Technology, Inc.
PO Box 12892
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709, USA
P: (919)544-4101 x101
F: (919)544-5345
E: msalim at localweb.com
W: http://www.localweb.com

PRIVACY NOTIFICATION:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is covered by the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, and is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). It may contain confidential and/or legally privileged information. Unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.

Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to.