[arin-discuss] IPv6 Why as justification for IPv4?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Apr 15 22:53:36 EDT 2013

On Apr 15, 2013, at 10:00 PM, "Jesse D. Geddis" <jesse at la-broadband.com> wrote:

> For me, ARINs policies were my biggest hindrance in starting my own company. Getting customers with no IPs then having to get an allocation for my customers from an upstream provider, using that to justify an ARIN allocation, then renumbering off the temporary address space onto my own doesn't make good business sense.

Jesse -

  The policies you refer to (those which encourage provider-assigned
  and "slow start" ISP addressing for new ISPs) actually pre-date ARIN,
  so I would be careful with attribution...   At this point, however,
  they are indeed subject to change if the community decides that it
  makes sense to do so.  Rather than grousing about the aspects of this
  policy that you disagree with, have you considered submitting a policy
  proposal to change the ISP initial allocation policy?  This is a real
  step that you can take to address the situation and independent of
  any fee schedule structure aspects to be discussed here.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO