[arin-discuss] IPv6 Why as justification for IPv4?

Tim St. Pierre tim at communicatefreely.net
Mon Apr 15 21:48:20 EDT 2013

Hi Drake,

I think I can explain this a little - and I appreciate the sideways
compliment.

As much as I would rather run a v6 only network, I can't yet because
everyone else is still stuck in IPv4 land.  It was pretty easy for me to
get an IPv6 allocation to use to build my network, but I still can't get
an IPv4 allocation.

I believe the spirit of the nrpm policy is "prove to use you have a real
customer base before we give you a meaningful address allocation".  I
can't meet the /23 requirement because I can't get a /23, so I'm
suggesting that I be able to prove my customer base by making IPv6
assignments.

I need IPv4 space to support my dual-stack customers that are all behind
NAT, but should really have a proper IPv4 assignment.  I'm arguing that
by demonstrating an IPv6 deployment, it shows me as worthy to be
allocated scarce IPv4 resources to the same network.

If I could just fill out some forms and get a /22 from the get-go, then
this wouldn't be an issue at all.

Hope that makes sense.

-Tim