[arin-discuss] IPv6 as justification for IPv4?

Jesse D. Geddis jesse at la-broadband.com
Mon Apr 15 20:25:54 EDT 2013

David,

I may have been unclear due to the complexity of the discussion as well as there being multiple concurrent discussions.

I make no assumption. In fact I'm saying the opposite. In summary what I'm saying is I don't think making an 'ARIN man hours model' is fair because the resulting fee schedule will likely be arbitrary.

So my question is what would the fee be if we eliminated all tiers and took a minimum block size to calculate a flat fee based on.

The follow up question would be: armed with that information what impact do we all think that would have on adoption and waste.

Even further. What if we kept the initial /32 free for everyone (who requests it) with an IPv4 assignment to encourage rollouts for the time being?

I'm using myself as an example here, I rolled out ipv6 natively in my company specifically because I was incentivised by ARINs ipv6 fee waiver. I think it's good policy.

Someone pointed out earlier that we have at best a 2.4% adoption rate. I think that number is high but regardless. We need to do better.

Jesse Geddis
LA Broadband LLC