[arin-discuss] Encouraging IPv6 Transition (From PPML)

Dmitry Kohmanyuk dk at intuix.com
Tue May 15 07:11:41 EDT 2012

On May 15, 2012, at 11:51 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> To my knowledge AT&T hasn't lit a single residence or phone with IPv6. Why? I would not generally
>
> Incorrect. I know of several AT&T residential DSL customers that have IPv6. It just started working one day with no real fanfare from AT&T.
>
>> suggest a stick approach but I think it would be appropriate for ARIN to take that approach to the verizons, AT&Ts, and the cable companies. Perhaps setting benchmarks for such companies as far as v6
>
> You just named the three residential providers that appear to be making the most IPv6 progress in north America. Taking a stick to them (as attractive as it may seem) would seem counter-productive in this case.

Somebody also mentioned T-Mobile - while being a small carrier, they are going IPv6-native on their mobile network, which is quite hard.

>> hink that it is far more important to encourage content providers to deploy IPv6 prior to depletion than eyeballs. If all of the content is available on IPv6, then, new IPv6-only eyeballs are not a problem. If all the eyeballs are dual-stack and most of the content still isn't, OTOH, you still can't deploy a new IPv6-only eyeball without having issues.

This pretty much sums it up -- content MUST be dual-stack, customers SHOULD, and providers MAY start migration to dual-stack
(the latter would convert to SHOULD and then to MUST as depletion approaches.)

Also, point-to-point applications that cannot run on IPv4 can be a game-changer.  All it takes is a Skype-alike to make customers demand IPv6.