[arin-discuss] Status of realigning the IPv6 fee structure?

Luke S. Crawford lsc at prgmr.com
Wed Mar 14 18:48:55 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 01:11:16PM -0700, Bill Prince wrote:

> In the world of supply and demand, IPv6 space should be less expensive
> because there is more of it than people want.  IPv4 space should be more
> expensive because there is a dwindling supply.

Meh, I'm coming at it from the 'public benifit regional monopoly'
side, but I think we are in agreement. IPv6 blocks should be cheap
compared to IPv4.

I'm just saying, from a 'public benifit' standpoint, I think it's
reasonable that IPv4 fees should subsidize IPv6 until there is real
demand for IPv6.  It is in all our interests to see to it that IPv6
takes off, and I think, right now, a few dollars can get in the way
of IPv6 takeoff.

Yeah, it's a monopoly good, but it's a monopoly good that most people
don't need.   Morever, there is no urgency;  If IPv6 does take off,
there is so much of it that it's not like it will be harder to get
later on, so the rational business person is taking the 'wait and see'
approach.