[arin-discuss] Question about the ARIN Relying Party Agreement - RPKI 'everyone must sign' and such...

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Dec 6 20:58:30 EST 2012

On Dec 6, 2012, at 8:47 PM, Michael Sinatra <michael at burnttofu.net> wrote:

> So, this is where my lack of legal experience is telling.  How will my
> indemnifying ARIN reduce the potential for such litigation upfront?  It
> seems that it will reduce the proposal of ARIN being sued up front, but
> will increase the potential of me being sued.

That's likely a question for your legal counsel.  Just as noted earlier
with many other service provider contracts, indemnification for your
use of the service is a very common clause, as it puts the onus on the
user of service to do so prudently.  ARIN is not directing members to
make use of RPKI, and some may easily come up with applications of the
service which are not at all appropriate; we cannot offer RPKI services
if we have to engage in a lengthy legal battle (when such applications
go very bad) in order to extricate ARIN from such cases.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO