[arin-discuss] Template-based email as a third registry access method

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue Apr 3 20:50:48 EDT 2012

On 4/3/12 19:29 CDT, Kevin Blumberg wrote:

> I would also suggest that the ability to save a draft of a submission be supported.

As I was reading this thread I was thinking much the same thing.  I was
thinking about why people might want Email Templates back vs. a Web
Form.  Other than not wanting to change, I thought about how the work
flow has changed.  With a email template you had a form you could work
on offline and collect all the information you needed and fill it in as
you go. Then submit the form, via email when you had it complete.

With the Web Form, I believe as implemented, you essentially need all
the info for a request all at once, then you do the data entry and
submit it.  If you could save partially completed web forms and create
your own partially complete templates, maybe we can keep the kind of
workflow we had with email templates but keep moving forward with the
other improvements ARIN Online has brought.

I have to say I like ARIN Online and the many improvements, but the web
form based workflow can be frustrating at times.  So is workflow the
real issue here?

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952