[arin-discuss] Template-based email as a third registry access method (was: Bringing back IP resource Request Templates)

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Apr 2 21:04:29 EDT 2012

On Apr 2, 2012, at 6:39 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I'm well aware of this. My statement above was specific to "resource requests" which
> are among those that have not been so modified and are no longer accepted.
> Hence my effort to start the discussion here which I would say received
> substantial response, most of which was supportive.

The responses have covered quite a bit of ground, but do I agree that
one response (RS) showed a clear understanding that the question being
considered is specifically whether the development of email templates
for remaining request types was worth the resulting cost to the
organization (both onetime and ongoing), and he indicated that it is
money well spent.

It is hard to estimate the overall effort involved, but note that we
have a very full 2012 development schedule already; it includes both
hosted and delegated RPKI work, billing integration, changes to handle
IPv4 requests into and post-runout period, and further RESTful interfaces.
(The list of planned work, completed work, and still to be prioritized
work is all available online here:  https://www.arin.net/features/)

Recognizing the level of effort necessary (upfront and ongoing) is not
clear at this time, it would still be helpful to understand from others
if doing this development is more important enough than the other work
already planned...

>> I would encourage further discussion on this list and in Vancouver.
>
> Unless indicated otherwise, I'll take this as an indication that ARIN is now
> planning to hold suggestion 2011.21 open for the time being.

Most certainly,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO