[arin-discuss] Trying to Understand IPV6

Robert E. Seastrom rs at seastrom.com
Tue Sep 14 15:38:46 EDT 2010

Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> writes:

> Robert E. Seastrom wrote:
>
>> And the firewall will default to "no inbound traffic".  Just like your
>> NAT router.
>
> In IPv4, SOHO gear defaults to "no inbound traffic" because
>
> a) its the right thing to do
>
> b) its what the competitors do
>
> c) its a byproduct of NAT, which needs to be turned on by default just
> to provide basic connectivity in the majority of use cases
>
> d) It lowers their support costs and lets the device work out of the box
>
> In IPv6 without NAT66, only A is a given.

Disagree.  The whole point of a SOHO firewall ("does what it says on
the box, keeps bad packets out, makes your network smell minty fresh")
guarantees "B" and business case and call center records will dictate
"D" even if they get it wrong out of the gate (unlikely).

I'm quite willing to listen to countering points of view though -
could you please explain why the market forces that push b and d will
not be present in IPv6 but would somehow be present if only we added
NAT66 to the equation?

-r