[arin-discuss] HOWTO: Disenfranchise Voters

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Thu Oct 7 19:39:34 EDT 2010

This may only effect a small percentage of folks now, but one might be careful
in the future as some of these things may contribute to confusion in the days ahead.

Preliminary Conditions:

	) legacy address space, covered by LRSA
	) NRPM on transfers
	) A localized ARIN-convenience to help effect a transfer
	) a recent bylaws change to restrict organizationali(ARIN) capture.

My company undertook to transfer some of its resources to its customers as a part of an
overall restructuring activity.  The transfers were concluded successfully.  In the process,
ARIN found it useful to modify (and then reauthorize) our ORGID.  Apparently when the ORGID
was regenerated, it was created with a BRAND_NEW start date.  My organizations decade-plus
history as an ARIN member was reset based on the last transfer.  Guess what that did?

It triggers a clause in a recent change in the bylaws on whom is allowed to vote in ARIN
elections.  In summary, (to prevent capture) an organization hss to have a proven track
record with ARIN (a year), before being allowed to vote in an election.

Whoops!  There was a typo, which moved the last transfer date from EP.NET from last year
to the current year.  ARIN staff was notified and the date was corrected to the date of
the last transfer.  So voting was accomplished.  This time.

Something to remember going forward.

--bill