[arin-discuss] fee waivers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jun 23 00:30:19 EDT 2010

On Jun 22, 2010, at 5:05 PM, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> On 2010.06.22 17:12, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> +1
>
> The generosity is fantastic, but what if a precedent is set... 'he' got
> it for free, so I'm not doing it until I get it for free too...

That precedent was technically set some years ago. Nobody got it for
free, but, I got mine for a one-time $500 instead of $1250.

> I'm not complaining. I nabbed up my v6 under the waiver myself. I just
> think that the $1250 one-time, and $100/yr is quite affordable.

Affordable is relative.  If you're running an exchange that's a small
member-based coop running on a shoestring in donated space from
a colo, $100/year might be tough, but do-able. $1250 might seem
insurmountable.  There are all manner of IPv4 end-users out there.
Many of them have been IPv4 users for so long that they got their
IPv4 for free. I would not advocate giving any of them free IPv6
unless it was tied to getting an LRSA signed for their IPv4 space.
(You want something from us, you have to join the fold and play
by the rules... Seems fair to me.)

> I'm afraid that applying little-to-no value on the resource could have
> the same impact as putting too much value on it.

This isn't about valuing the resource. The fee is for the service of
registering the resource, not for the resource itself. This is an important
distinction. IP addresses are not sold or owned. They are not tangible
assets. No matter how much fiction certain Ph.D.s try to spread on
the subject, the fact of the matter remains that ARIN does not sell
or rent IP addresses.

Owen