[arin-discuss] not fraud

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sat Jul 3 15:46:06 EDT 2010

woody's right, the offers we all received to purchase IP address space were
not fraudulant nor were they a probable precursor to fraud. i saw this more
as a violation of "whois terms of use" (https://www.arin.net/whois_tou.html)
which says

	The ARIN WHOIS data is for Internet operational or technical
	research purposes pertaining to Internet operations only. You may
	not use, allow to use, or otherwise facilitate the use of ARIN
	WHOIS data for advertising, direct marketing, marketing research,
	or similar purposes. These Terms of Use are applicable to any
	compilation, repackaging, dissemination or other use of ARIN WHOIS
	data. If you fail to abide by these Terms, ARIN reserves the right
	to take reasonable and appropriate action, which may include,
	without limitation, restricting or terminating your access to WHOIS
	or other ARIN Services.

	You understand and agree that ARIN will treat your use of WHOIS as
	acceptance of these Terms. ARIN reserves the right to modify these
	Terms at any time. You should check back periodically for updates.

my concern is, if this is what whois is going to be used for, then folks are
going to be afraid to list any real e-mail address in their whois data.

so, me sending $dayjob's two copies of this bulk direct marketing / marketing
research / similar material to ARIN's fraud desk was a knee-jerk mistake on
my part. however, since <https://www.arin.net/contact_us.html> gives no more
specific information (this doesn't fit hostmaster@ or aupabuse@), i'll forgive
myself for using arin's fraud desk to report the problem.