[arin-discuss] Offer to buy IP space

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Fri Jul 2 19:11:55 EDT 2010

On Jul 2, 2010, at 4:00 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> It would take very little effort for them to design their
> gateways so that the gateway boots, then using a FQDN, contacts
> a server of theirs and obtains the DNS server numbers they actually
> want to be used.

That's nice for the gateway.  What about the users?

> Or they could create a website so that the educational network admin
> could go to that site and click a button and an active X control
> could fill out the correct IP address in his Windows server.

That's nice for the network admin.  What about the users?

> In short, there's many creative ways that they can distribute a
> difficult-to-remember IP number, one that could change dynamically.

That's nice for whoever prints little wallet-cards, but what about the user, who has to remember an IP address, or always be carrying around a little wallet card?  Or get a tattoo?  Many end-users are averse to having IP addresses tattooed on parts of their bodies that they're willing to expose in a work environment.

> A service that requires end-users to memorize an IP address is
> not well-enough designed to be worth paying money for, IMHO.

Whether or not the user is paying isn't relevant.  If you think the DNS should have a bootstrap mechanism that doesn't require someone, somewhere, to know an IP address, that's great, but I suggest you take it up with DNSext, rather than ARIN.

                                -Bill