[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver for IPv6 assignments to LRSA signatories

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Sat Feb 6 01:50:06 EST 2010

The idea is that there's a cloud of legacy holders out there who
are NOT LSRA holders at the current time.  Being legacy holders,
by definition, are IPv4 holders who are paying zilch yearly
fees to ARIN, the thought had occurred to Owen that perhaps
some of those legacy holders might not be too keen on moving
from a status where their networks are running on IPv4 that is
free to them, to mixed IPv4 and IPv6 which first of all costs
them money, and second of all means they have to sign a
LSRA that basically moves them from this legal limbo where
ARIN has no control over them, to a defined legal status
where ARIN has some control over them (although not enough
to start charging them money), and last of all means they
will have to start paying a yearly fee.

It's like when you are out in the boondocks with a home that
is plugged into a well and a septic tank.  Your water and
sewer costs you nothing, save the electricity to pump the
water.  You do know enough to know that the water table has
been falling in your area for many years and eventually your
IPv4 well is going to run dry, but that's likely going to be
years in the future.  Then one day along comes the city wanting
to incorporate you and plug you into their new IPv6 water and
septic system.  Very likely you would be rather hesitant to
want to move from a situation of free water and sewer to a
situation of you pay for water and sewer, when your really not
going to see much difference.

Ted