[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver for IPv6 assignments to LRSA signatories

michael.dillon at bt.com michael.dillon at bt.com
Fri Feb 5 08:46:54 EST 2010

> I agree - however ARIN already is HEAVILY stacked in favor of
> the large holders.  Check out the cost-per-IP address, it
> drops like a rock as the number of IP addresses you obtain
> from ARIN grows.
>
> Since we are already stacked in favor of the large holders,
> adjusting the initial fee to bear more heavily on the large
> holders as I advise actually brings ARIN to LESS of a point
> of favoring one segment of address holders over another.

Are you nuts? He who pays the piper calls the tune.
If we "adjusted" fees so that the members with the biggest
allocations paid a fee per IP address, then a few large
organizations would control ARIN to their benefit. All other
ISPs would get table scraps if anything. In fact, they will
probably just eliminate the small fry altogether.

Talk about serving up your own head on a platter...

> A blanket fee waiver continues to bias the costs more towards
> the smaller orgs with less numbers, which is what you claim
> you want to avoid - your logic is highly inconsistent here.
>
> Either you just don't realize the cost issues involved or
> your being disingenuous.

There are no cost issues. ARIN has enough money. ARIN can afford
to waive IPv6 fees for LRSA signers precisely because there are
no material cost and funding issues.

However, what ARIN does need are more members with legacy resources
in order to ensure that all stakeholders are represented in the
organization.

--Michael Dillon