[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver for IPv6 assignments to LRSA signatories

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Feb 4 20:35:09 EST 2010

On Feb 4, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>

>> I am not in favor of an across-the-board, non-time limited fee cut.

As proposed, although the fee cut wouldn't necessarily be time-limited (although I have
no opposition to placing a limit on it), since there is a limited amount of time that the
LRSA is still being offered, I figured it was inherently limited that way.

Something to consider is this might be a good way to encourage both IPv6 uptake
_AND_ LRSA signatures, two items which I think are strongly in the community's
interest. I think that the fees lost to such an offer will pale in comparison to the
benefit to the community.  Mostly we're looking at waiving end-user /48 one-time
fees. That's $1,250/organization and last I heard only a few hundred organizations
had signed the LRSA.

> In the interest of fostering uptake, I agree, it's reasonable to remove roadblocks, but removing roadblocks and increasing the cost of delivering service at the expense of the membership is like implementing a tax. It is in none of our interests.

I'll be surprised if this adds significantly to the cost of delivering service.  I suspect
that at best it will result in a few dozen additional end-user applications.

> I guess we can call this one the Owen Tax. :)

Cute.

Owen