[arin-discuss] Suggestion 2010.1 -- Initial Fee Waiver for IPv6 assignments to LRSA signatories

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Feb 4 16:53:16 EST 2010

In a message written on Tue, Feb 02, 2010 at 08:39:18PM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
>    I have submitted a formal suggestion to the ACSP recommending that the
>    BoT waive initial
>    assignment fees for IPv6 when the applicant is a legacy resource holder
>    that has signed
>    the LRSA.

I oppose this suggestion.  I see no reason why IPv4 legacy holders
should have any special status with respect to IPv6.

I don't object to legacy holders getting a free ride on IPv4, they
were innovators and pioneers.  The innovators and pioneers in the
IPv6 space also got a free ride for a while, ARIN issued fee wavors
to those who wanted to innovate.

Being a pioneer in once space does not automatically afford special
benefits in another.  Legacy holders should not get an IPv6 waver.
IPv6 users who obtained and used their space when there was an IPv6
waver should not get a waver of their IPv4 fees.  Neither group
should receive any sort of waver the next time we do this (IPv10?),
whenever that is down the road.

If legacy holders wanted waved IPv6 fees they could have gotten IPv6
when the fees were waved, and contributed to the roll out of IPv6.