[arin-discuss] Advisory Council Position Petitions?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Sep 24 18:21:01 EDT 2009

On Sep 24, 2009, at 2:09 PM, Jay Hennigan wrote:

> In other organizations with which I've been associated, the NomCom
> typically acts more like a recruitment body that twists arms until
> it can get at least one warm body to volunteer for each office.  The
> problems are generally too few candidates, not too many.

That's the way its traditionally been ARIN as well.

> What about transparency?  If some candidates are rejected by the
> NomCom, should there be a public notice given that, "Candidate X
> applied but was not nominated because his qualifications failed to
> meet criterion Y"?

That would mean that the nominees and NomCom would be restricted to
publicly disclosable information in their dialogue (i.e. the NomCom
couldn't consider confidential information provided to clarify ability
to commit time to the role, or how the candidate might resolve
potential conflict of interests, etc)

> How can the community judge arbitrariness if the reasons for
> rejection of a specific candidate aren't disclosed?

Acknowledged; if the community is going to judge the NomCom's
assessment, it needs access to the same information as the NomCom.

> IMNSHO, I'd prefer that the NomCom just verified that candidates
> meet the qualifications to run based on published criteria and
> disclose the reasons for any rejections.

That function (verification of credentials) doesn't actually even
require a NomCom, as staff does that work with oversight by myself and
counsel if needed.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO