[arin-discuss] use of 128.66.0.0/16 not clear

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Sep 24 14:38:50 EDT 2009

On 24 Sep 2009 Christopher Morrow wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:12 PM, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
> > I also agree with the point that there are several legacy /8s
> > assigned to large corporations, that in todays world just don't
> > seem right.  However, I not sure what can be done about it,
>
> I'm not disagreeing with the rest of your note here, I do wonder how
> the above was arrived at? Let's look at Apple for instance (who have
> 17/8 at least). There are several ways I can see that they may easily
> justify usage for this allocation.
>
> -chris

Its more an impression many people have, I very much don't
want to create a witch hunt, as I said in a previous post.

But lets run the number for Apple since you brought them up;
With a little Googling, Fortune says Apple has about 16,000
employees.  Well their /8 gives them about 16,000,000 IPs,
that is about 1000 IPs per employee.  I'm not saying they
should have to go down to /18 or anything.  But, if they gave
back a /9 they would still have 500 address per employee.

I not saying that Apple or the other guys with /8s are evil.  Hey,
I'm a big fat american, who stuffs his face with food everyday
while other people in the world are starving.

I'm just validating  that it seems wrong that I stuff my face while
people are starving,  and that Apple and a few other
companies have /8s when other people have to beg a plead for
addresses.

If I could snap my fingers and both solve world hunger and
implement IPv6, I would, but I can't.

Gross inequity is wrong, we should recognize that, but at the
same time recognize that in all of human history no one has
really solved that one either.

To sum up, trying to force any return of the legacy /8s is really
heroic effort, and it would be better spent on implementing
IPv6.  But, let not say there is no inequities there.

David Farmer                                      Email:farmer at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology
Networking & Telecomunication Services
University of Minnesota		       Phone: 612-626-0815
2218 University Ave SE		       Cell: 612-812-9952
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029	       FAX: 612-626-1818