[arin-discuss] [arin-ppml] Advisory Council Position Petitions?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Sep 23 17:47:03 EDT 2009

On Sep 23, 2009, at 4:36 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> I don't have a problem with the NomCom disqualifying candidates for
> whatever reason.
>
> I do have a huge problem when those "whatever reason" is shrouded in
> secrecy.

Ted -

Disqualification based on the hard criteria isn't the problem (and
isn't necessarily the job of the NomCom).  For example, if someone is
works for another RIR, they may not serve as an ARIN AC or Board
member. Unless they're planning to change jobs upon election, there
will be a hard conflict.  The bylaws lay out a handful of structural
conflict-of-interest items, but these are factual in nature and do not
require the NomCom in order for them to be adequately addressed.

The issue is with the "evaluation of Nominees' experiences and
qualifications" (per NomCom charter).  I will outline some purely
hypothetical situations and how they might be handled under the
current process:

1) A nominee for the AC indicates that they'd like to serve, but they
also note that they operate a business which depends on availability
of WHOIS data to function.  They tell the NomCom that they intend to
recuse themselves from WHOIS policy discussions, to prevent potential
material conflict of interest.   The NomCom sees that quite a bit of
the upcoming discussions in the next three years will relate to WHOIS
policy, and feel that the nominee will be impaired, but not fatally
so.  In a situation with insufficient nominations, they decide to put
the nominee on the AC slate. In a situation with more nominees, they'd
certainly omit the nominee from the slate.

2) A nominee for the Board indicates that they've got enough time to
serve, based on the written description of trustee demands.  The
nominee's worried that it might be tight in terms of time commitment
but otherwise manageable as long as "The Big Contract" that they bid
on doesn't get awarded to them.  The nominee says confidentially that
it's really a remote chance, since the following well-known firms are
competing for it:  XYZ, ABC, QED, but if the award does happen they
will have to resign.  The NomCom considers this, and given the dearth
of other candidates either decides it is a reasonable or an
unreasonable risk to add to the Board slate given their potential to
resign mid-term.

I agree that the current NomCom doesn't provide insight into its
prioritization of the candidates, but I'm not certain how it could in
some circumstances (circumstances which are more common than one would
expect).  Making the NomCom a body which simply approves all Nominees
(unless completely defective) means we lose the "evaluation" portion
of its charter.  Hence, the suggestion that all nominees get carried
forward, but the Nomcom provides (or not) its endorsement of the
nominee based on their ability to serve productively.  Other
suggestions are welcome, including the possibility of having the
community vote on candidates without having consideration of any
information from the candidate which would need to be treated in
confidence.

Thoughts?
/John

John Curran