[arin-discuss] [arin-ppml] Advisory Council Position Petitions?

Hannigan, Martin mahannig at akamai.com
Wed Sep 23 14:15:04 EDT 2009

On 9/23/09 1:51 PM, "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:

Speaking for myself..

> John,
>
>    Sorry for the top post,
>
>    The problem here is going to hinge around this:
>
> "...The NomCom selects those nominees that is feels are most
> qualified and builds a ballot for each election..."
>
>    Without even a general specification of the criteria the
> Nominating Committee is using, it is perfectly understandable
> that some individuals who were excluded would naturally be
> frustrated at why they were excluded.

I raised the issue on -discuss because I felt that it was disappointing that
such a dramatic change in process, midstream, would occur a) without prior
notice and b) with weak justification. As I understand it, the justification
to take this action was based on the volume of candidates and the resulting
time that it would take for each to present themselves in Dearborn. I
suggest that there were other steps that could have been taken to mitigate
time requirements without cutting any "eligible" candidates.

[ clip ]

> I would recommend that it's imperative that the NomCom
> produce an objective summary of what they feel constitutes a qualified
> candidate.  It is also important to keep in mind that these are
> only candidates - the NomCom needs to trust that the membership
> doing the voting has the wisdom to select the most qualified
> candidates during the election.

I would add that the BoT could consider reversing this action and instead
address the time issue since that was the only issue raised supporting this
turn of events.

Best Regards,

-M<