[arin-discuss] policy versus operations FAQ

Jo Rhett jrhett at svcolo.com
Mon Mar 2 17:40:51 EST 2009

Ted, I wasn't going to reply to you because your statements are overly
hot and insulting to the recipient.  I won't give you the attention
you are seeking for that kind of behavior.

But this issue is a common FAQ about ARIN policy that many other
people misunderstand so I'd like to make sure everyone sees this answer:

On Feb 27, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> ARIN is US and will do anything WE want.  If you want ARIN to
> start mediating then SUBMIT A POLICY MODIFICATION.

It has been well documented that ARIN policy does *NOT* include day to
day operations.  We have as a whole been requested on numerous
occasions not to make policy so explicit that ARIN cannot make
operational decisions about how to implement policy.

I don't believe (although I may be convinced otherwise) that a policy
change is required here.  I do believe that the current POC accounts
are very well defined in their purpose and scope, and that this
message was inappropriately sent to more than one of the POC contacts.
I believe that my complaint is sustained by the current policy,
without any changes to how it is written today.

That makes my complaint an operational matter for ARIN, and not a
policy matter.

--
Jo Rhett
senior geek