[arin-discuss] Outreach to legacy holders to recover address space

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jul 23 17:10:41 EDT 2009

On Jul 23, 2009, at 4:39 PM, Lee Howard wrote:

> ... Please feel free to question my assumptions or my
> methodology.  If you don't, then please answer the question: "How
> much (effort=time=)
> money should ARIN spend on reclamation?"
>
> This is, to me, why this debate is a membership question, and not a
> policy question.

Lee - Thanks for mentioning this important point.  I'd like to elaborate
for clarity:

I've been asked by several people why this is on arin-discuss and not
PPML,
and answered similarly.  To the extent that we're discussing the level
of
resources for outreach to the legacy community, then indeed this is a
budget
and membership priorities question suitable for arin-discuss.  There
have
been a few postings suggesting mandatory audit and reclamation rather
than
outreach and voluntary return, and it would be best if such discussions
were directed to the PPML list as they would require a clear statement
of
policy to pursue.

/John

John Curran