[arin-discuss] Good Stewardship by example, I'd like to RETURN a /20

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Wed Jul 22 19:08:09 EDT 2009

Lee Howard wrote:

>> While this is not the ultimate solution, it certainly can stem the tide for many
>> years.
>
> How many years?
> Globally, about 12-13 /8s were assigned in 2008.
> http://www.nro.net/documents/presentations/nro-jointstats_06-30-09.pdf
>
> There are something like 40 "legacy" Class A assignments, but most of them are
> in use.   How many do you think could be reallocated?
> There are, what, 44 /8s assigned as 11,000 Class Bs?  Most of the Class Bs
> are in use.  How many do you think could be reallocated?
>
> What is the threshold for utilization?  Do we tell end user organizations that if
> they don't qualify for an additional allocation (80% utilization of current blocks
> (NRPM 4.3.6)) they don't qualify for their current block?  Is 25% acceptable?
> This is important in figuring out how many allocations could be recovered.
>
> I think we could get an extra year out of IPv4 this way.  Maybe +/- six months.
> How much should ARIN spend to do this?
>
>> It would be an interesting study to examine the allocated IP address space by
>> entity and determine how many of these organizations sit behind a NAT firewall,
>> and only use a small portion of their allocation.
>
> That would be interesting.  Anybody want to do it?

How?  NAT's quite often disable ICMP echo replies by default so pinging
IP's in a block isn't going to tell you anything.

> These aren't rhetorical questions, btw.  I'm sincerely looking for guidance from
> the members as to how you want ARIN to spend its resources.

It would be nice (I think I've suggested this before) if ARIN could
publish a date on it's website that it expects to be able to no longer
hand out IPv4.  It might help give a little push to the discussion if we
had a deadline. :-)

Ted