[arin-discuss] Good Stewardship by example, I'd like to RETURN a /20

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Wed Jul 22 12:26:17 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 10:33:29AM -0400, jlewis at atlantic.net wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2009, John Brown wrote:
[...]
> >In thinking about this, I've decided that the RIGHT ANSWER  is to return
> >the space to the free pool.  Maybe others will do the right thing.  I don't
> >know.  But at least I'll sleep to night knowing that I wasn't a PIG.
>
> That's interesting.  My past experience in acquisitions of dying ISPs with
> their own ARIN-assigned space has been that ARIN will make you show
> justification/utilization before updating the reassignments to point to
> you.  Is this no longer the case?

Justification/utilization has always been important in these types
of cases.  That and legal paperwork showing that the acquisition has
occurred are the only real hurdles to be cleared.

With that said, I'd like to add that if I'd come into control of
an allocation like one Mr. Brown has, I'd be doing the *exact*
same thing he's indicated he's doing:  give it back to ARIN

We're aren't going to save the IPv4 world by returning space, but
we *will* make it easier on soe folks that are coming to the table
(relatively) late.