[arin-discuss] Good Stewardship by example, I'd like to RETURN a /20

Kevin Hunt khunt at huntbrothers.com
Wed Jul 22 09:42:22 EDT 2009

On 7/21/09 9:37 PM, "John Brown" <john at citylinkfiber.com> wrote:

> I recently acquired a defunct ISP and their net-blocks.
>
> Some of those net-blocks I don't need today.  I may need them in the future
> if my business keeps growing.  Hopefully I can get some space then.
>
> Lots of smart people in this industry have told me to HOLD ON TO THE SPACE,
> don't give it back.
<snip>

> NET 205.201.128.0/20 is hereby returned.

I mostly lurk and rarely give much attention to most threads here, but find
this thread interesting.

First, a public thank you from a small ISP ( 2 /20's) to Mr. Brown.  Giving
space back certainly deserves kudos !

Second, I'm guilty of lurking but not participating in the list, must less
going to the meetings.  I'll work on changing that.

Third, ARIN is in a sticky situation with the legacy allocations, and I'd
like to hear f/ the ARIN employees/board on if any discussions were ever
held with the legacy providers regarding voluntarily giving some of the
space back.

--
W. Kevin Hunt
CCIE #11841