[arin-discuss] Good Stewardship by example, I'd like to RETURN a /20

John Brown john at citylinkfiber.com
Tue Jul 21 22:37:56 EDT 2009

I recently acquired a defunct ISP and their net-blocks.

Some of those net-blocks I don't need today.  I may need them in the future
if my business keeps growing.  Hopefully I can get some space then.

Lots of smart people in this industry have told me to HOLD ON TO THE SPACE,
don't give it back.

I've had people offer me HARD CASH for the space.  We are talking 6 digits.
It would be easy to SWIP the space to them and call it a pre-pay on future
connectivity, hand them a LOA and count the Benjamin's all the way to the
bank.

I've had spammers offer me hard cash to let them route the space.  I
thought, hmm, I could take the cash and then tell SpamHaus/SORBS here is a
block that's about to get trashed.  Please block it NOW.

In thinking about this, I've decided that the RIGHT ANSWER  is to return
the space to the free pool.  Maybe others will do the right thing.  I don't
know.  But at least I'll sleep to night knowing that I wasn't a PIG.

NET 205.201.128.0/20 is hereby returned.

PS I couldn't find a form to fill out that says RETURN TO FREE POOL.

And, no I don't need ARIN to pay me to return this space.  Having ARIN pay
people to DO THE RIGHT THING  seems like the wrong thing, IMHO

Respectfully,

John Brown, President and CTO
CityLink Fiber Holdings, Inc.
Albuquerque, Denver, Los Angles
New Mexico's first independent 10Gig ISP
Open Access Dark Fiber NOW Available
Past ARIN AC Member