[arin-discuss] Is a review of fee structure called for due toimpending IPv4 runout?

Artur (eBoundHost) artur at eboundhost.com
Wed Oct 22 23:33:23 EDT 2008

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
========
   If what you really want is to see YOUR fee for your
yearly IPv4 administration to go down....
========

Ted, let me clear up this one first.  Honestly speaking, the ARIN fees
do not impact me personally in any meaningful way.  Whatever we are
paying now to maintain our IP allocation is absolutely eclipsed by other
business expenses.  My position is purely as an outside observer and I'm
responding to your post on the topic.

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
========
   You sound almost like you would want ARIN to cease
all activity with assigning IPv4 post-runout.  Currently
though, ARIN has no authority to do this.
========

This may not be as terrible of an idea as it seems at first, but
probably not realistic.  The best way to spur the migration is to have a
demand for ip addresses greater than the supply.  And lets be serious,
the real people who make the difference in our part of the world are
companies like comcast and verizon who blanket the country with
residential and business access.  Until the end user is moved onto ipv6,
businesses have no reason to pick up the expense of a migration that may
or may not have fiscal benefits.  And these giants (att, comcast,
verizon) probably also don't care very much if the fees go up for ip
allocation.  They have a bottomless vault of money, so you can't push
them into a migration by raising costs.

You are right, "dirty" blocks are not something i considered but i still
don't see why it would be more expensive to deal with them since there
is going to be a declining need as time moves on and v6 becomes viable.
  And in my understanding the effort will be marginally bigger than
issuing fresh blocks.  In fact are you certain that dirty blocks are not
being redistributed at the moment?  Our allocation seemed to have all
sorts of bad history with various spam engines.

Anyway, i am not aware of the past discussions so if i said something
that has been discussed to death, please accept my apologies.

Best Regards,

Artur
eBoundHost
http://www.eboundhost.com