[arin-discuss] ARIN is not like Palo Alto! -Or- What I saw by attending ARIN XXII last week in LA.

Bob Evans bob at FiberInternetCenter.com
Wed Oct 22 14:28:17 EDT 2008

As many of you may know, I stayed for the ARIN meeting after NANOG. I did
this to see what really takes place behind the online PPML discussions.  I
am happy to say that I saw the process. And that it is a pretty good !

It wasn't like a city hall meeting in Palo Alto. In Palo Alto, one side of
a discussion fills the room with attendance and hogs all the time, while
pompous council members sit and cater to those there. In Palo Alto, common
sense is overruled by organized floor time hogging mob tactics. This is
usually followed up by council members meeting privately with the mob
organizers. Now that you walked in my shoes for a brief moment, you can
see why I would approach the ARIN meeting with a great deal of skepticism.

Last week at ARIN XXII, I witnessed the proper type of Robert's Rules of
Order implemented. The one that gives the "sides" equal floor time.
Something Palo Alto lost long ago.

At ARIN there are enough people involved to make sure the interests of
businesses like ours are never shoved aside. Trustees and Advisors take
things very seriously. A strong level of fairness exists inside ARIN and
it overrules the dollar!  Ideas are well discussed, modified and discussed
again and again then documented. In hopes of leaving little chance for
interpretation, in the event an idea reaches the point of becoming a
policy. Once a policy is in place it then becomes a 'matter of fact'
process.

The best way to make sure this spirit continues at ARIN is to participate.
In this way we continue to have "individuals with good hearts and minds
filling the seats". Individuals that never forget  ARIN is for everyone.

Let's keep ARIN for Everyone.
Contact your peers and suggest they vote.
bob evans
(Your peers may not get ARIN mail lists...maybe you can copy this and
email it to them. If tehy live in Palo Ato they will understand the need
to participate.)

bob evans
www.FiberInternetCenter.com