[arin-discuss] Overwhelmed with RFC's and IPv6

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Tue Apr 8 20:55:37 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

For some reason, I'm having a difficult time grasping the full benefit
of a couple of RFC's. I don't know where else to request better
understanding, so I thought I'd ask here.

With a good grasp on binary/dec/hexa conversion, and even though both
RFCs are very well written and documented, I can't quite pull together
how the netmask factor works relevant to RFC 1219 and RFC 3531.

Could someone here either recommend a better venue for me to discuss
these RFCs (in regard to a final decision on how to initially decide on
an IPv6 layout), or provide real-world examples of this type of layout,
and how it has/will provide them with future growth, whether it be in
IPv4 or IPv6 context?

Intimidation is the major factor in how to pre-plan our IPv6 deployment.
To be honest, the more I focus on IPv6, the more I notice mistakes in
our IPv4 deployment.

Thanks and regards,

Steve