[arin-discuss] Legacy RSA from arin-announce question

jlewis at atlantic.net jlewis at atlantic.net
Wed Oct 24 16:58:22 EDT 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Tuc at T-B-O-H.NET wrote:

> 	I took an informal survey of some of the people that had
> been granted Legacy space... Some IPs weren't currently routed.
> Some emails bounced. Some had no idea what/who ARIN was. Some
> were in their own little world and aren't on NANOG, ARIN lists,
> ISP-* lists, etc. One had moved twice and never updated his contact
> information.

Even better, what happens to legacy allocations when the person to whom
the space was allocated had died, but the space continues to be routed?
I'm familiar with one case of this, and I don't doubt there are many more.

Is it worth trying to reclaim these small IP blocks?...perhaps just to get
them out of the global routing table?  Does anyone have the authority to
do so?  When Internic used to hand out PI to anyone who asked properly,
was there any time limit on assignments...or is space assigned to an
individual to be passed on as property to their heirs?